- Near Mount Rogers and Whitetop Mountain, Virginia's two highest mountains, Grayson Highlands offers scenic views of alpine-like peaks more than 5,000 feet high.
- Parking At Massie Gap fills up fast, so be sure to arrive as early as possible. Take the Massie gap trailhead up towards mount rogers. About 1.5 miles up you'll be greeted by plenty of friendly pony's. Half way into the trail there's a perfect flat area to setup camp with the most insane 360 views of the Appalachian Mountains.
What to expect
- Wild Ponies!
- 360 views of the Appalachian Mountains
- Some of the best Sunrises/Sunset views
Things to note
- If you want to camp you will now need to reserve a spot ahead of time online. If you do not, the Grayson Highlands General Store is able to shuttle you to the trail head and pick you up in the mornings for a small fee.
- Do not feed the pony's. Trust me, they wont leave you alone.
- Finishing the Mount Rogers trail is pretty anti climatic. The "summit" of the Mount Rogers trail head is located in the middle of the woods with no view whatsoever.